While your backyard swimming pool is more a focus of activity during the summer, there’s no reason you can’t dress it up for the holidays. Whether party guests are outside getting a breath of fresh air when the weather is nice or simply gazing out at your beautiful backyard, it’s fun to (pool) deck the halls out back!
Here are some tips for adding a festive flair to your pool and deck area:
- Wrap it up – Your pool is a gift that keeps on giving every summer. Make it look like one by putting an oversized bow (like you see in the luxury car commercials) on top of your pool cover. It’s a decoration that’s sure to get some grins and have people looking forward to warm weather.
- Lots of lights in sight – You line your roof with holiday lights, why not run some strands around the pool area? Lights that twinkle are especially appropriate in this place where sunlight shimmers on the water’s surface all summer long.
- Oversized decorations – Nothing says ‘Happy Holidays’ like enormous faux bulbs and bobs. Set a few on top of the pool cover and watch the kids’ eyes light up.
- Trim any and every tree – Who says you can only decorate an indoor tree? Buy some plastic ornaments and hang them from the greenery in your pool area. Who knows, maybe the tricked-out trees will inspire someone to leave some gifts there as well!
- Fabulous floating candles – If your pool is uncovered around the holidays, floating some lighted candles in the pool adds an elegant, eye-catching touch to your holiday décor.
- Holiday inflatables – From turkeys to Santas to wreaths to dreidels, there are a wide variety of festive inflatable floats you can place in your pool if it will be uncovered.
- Patio heater or fire pit – While not a decoration per se, a patio heater or fire pit allows guests to get outside and enjoy your pool area in comfort.
And on into the New Year…
Christmas, Hanukkah, and Kwanzaa are joyous occasions, but don’t forget to ring in the new year with a decorated pool deck as well! From streamers to noisemakers to party hats, there are many ways to greet the New Year in style.
Whatever holidays you celebrate, and however you celebrate them, we wish you health, happiness, and family fun this holiday season and look forward to working with you in the year ahead.
Editor’s note: Originally published 12/2016. Updated for relevance.